There is no longer a street in the City called simply Broad Street. However, there did used to be a thoroughfare called Broad Street (before the great fire, it was perhaps the widest street in the City). At an early stage, the southern end of the Street where it joins Threadneedle Street, was named 'Little Broad Street' (although many maps with similar dates have it as 'Pig Street').

A map from 1844 showing the original designation of Broad Street. Click on the image for a larger view.

A map from 1872 showing the new designation of New and Old Broad Street. Click on the image for a larger view.

A map from before 1773 showing the original designation of Little Broad Street. Click on the image for a larger view.

Click the image above to see Broad Street on 'The Agas Map' - dating from the early 1560s.

The Broad Street Railway Station (at the northern end of the Street) opened in 1865 and finally closed in 1986. It was completely demolished and the new Broadgate Office and Shopping complex was built on the site. This is in the Ward of Bishopsgate. A part of the old Railway Station is presented as a giant sculpture at the entrance to Liverpool Street Station (see picture, right).

By the mid 19th century, the link to Throgmorton was no longer referred to as Little Broad Street (or indeed Pig Street) and part of the original Broad Street north of London Wall had been redesignated as being called New Broad Street - consequently the remainder of the original Broad Street south of London Wall was renamed Old Broad Street. Since then, the redesignation of the northern section has been undone, so the entire Street from Threadneedle Street up to Liverpool Street is now known as Old Broad Street.

Broad Street itself seems to have started at the junction with Throgmorton Street and extended northwards beyond London Wall to Liverpool   Street   and  into

the area north of Finsbury Circus. There was also a side street extending to the West of Broad Street, known as 'New Broad Street'.

The side street called New Broad Street still exists (as it did before all the name changes) and is currently a pedestrianised area (see left).

A modern street sign alongside one carved in the stone (probably well over 100 years old - click to expand). The division of London into postal districts was completed in 1858 - Old Broad Street was within the area 'EC'. This location became EC2 in 1917.